Sunday 1 April 2012

So richly rewarded, I'm humbled.

Last week I found a friend.
A guy who I taught in my first school, who was in my 'Homegroup' a pastoral care unit that I looked after for some four years. It was in the far western suburbs of Melbourne and was over 25 years ago.

I found him on FaceBook where I've also a large number of past students who joke with me, ask questions, show me pictures of their kids, family and continue to joust happily even though they're now most around 40yrs old.

We were close. We got through secondary school science, geography and maths together as well as spending time under canvas in the mountains on 'Explorers club' gigs.  He was a reliable, gentle and strong fellow who quietly worked away on his life - a lovely boy. His dad was a merchant seaman and would insist on giving me a 4lt bottle of imported ("No questions, Phil"!) Scotch every Christmas - they were from the same mould, lovely people.


In Yr10 he went on student work experience at a nearby engineering works. I was so pleased when he came back and told me that he'd been offered an apprenticeship, to start the next year.  I asked if his boss had tested him and I was told "He asked me how to work out the length around a circle of steel without measuring it, Mr Morrison". I gasped, 'We're on thin ice here', I thought. "Oh, I told him that two pi R stuff, you know, like we did in maths last term". I was jubilant! What a wonderful thing for this guy who didn't enjoy maths, but really loved building, making, working with his hands and mind.

I've "dined-out" on this story for years, especially when asked "What are the rewards in teaching?" I would cite this case and others. Recently, over the past years, I've also been able to talk about the strong bond formed in our Homegroup and how many of those lovely people, my 'kids', have refound me on social media sites and renewed our friendships. It's been a real boost for me and a buzz for them.

Today I received this message on FB Messenger from 'my boy'. I read it and cried-out, I've been going on about it all day and driven Katie mad. It's wonderful to hear from this man, to hear about his life post-school, his own family, his goings on. I'm chuffed, I feel partly responsible for his success in getting his apprenticeship and feel part ownership in his life. Maybe I'm premature in thinking so - I'll have to ask him. Maybe I think too much of what I did as his teacher. Either way, here's his message which I publish because I'm so proud of him, proud of what he's done and the great experiences he's had.

All I can say is "Well done, lovely big grown-up man!".

From me:
Jason - I've been looking for you!!! Tell me all about what you've done since school - wow, great to find you!!
Phil Morrie Morrison
  • In return:
    Hi Phil, Well where do we start. Married with 2 kids. 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son. Basically when i completed school i went into a Boiler Maker Apprenticeship. After i completed that i worked locally in Melton for 2 companies in the trade. I then went into a company called Liquip International which is located in Sunshine. I started there in the shop floor and within 2 years i was made supervisor of the truck build section. After not quite 2 years i was made Operations Manager of the whole place and was in charge of approx 50 people including 3 supervisors. I have done alot of world travel with the company working with the various oil companies. Ive been with the company now 16 years. The company purchased a USA division some 6 years ago and i was engaged to turn this company around 2 years ago. We all packed up moved to North Carolina and love it here in the USA. Great experience for all. Hope all is well with you. I still stay in touch with some of gang from school.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment